Monday, September 29, 2014

Blue Goose ~ Day 121

September 28, 2014 ~ Marietta, OH to Jeffersonville, OH

I had the idea I would go to Athens, OH, home of Ohio University. I have a vague memory of driving through an Ohio college town years and years ago and thought maybe it was Athens, although now I think it was Bowling Green. Anyway, I was up early, drove to Athens, found a coffee shop in the campus area, parked right in front on an old brick street and settled in. The place was almost empty...for about 15 minutes and then it filled up, first with a girls' soccer team and then with parents and other students. As it turned out, it was Parents Weekend. Definite nostalgia and mild envy... the girls were lovely, the boys handsome, and the parents proud (maybe).

I couldn't resist one of many nearby bookstores and bought two by Philipp Meyer: American Rust and The Son. I have read The Son; it is historical fiction and one of my favorite recently read books. I gave it to Richard who also liked it and passed it on. So this is a recommendation. The setting is Texas.

I decided to work another several hours so made a Priceline reservation for Athens and, too late, discovered it was for Athens, Georgia. Damn! as it was non-refundale, or so their web site said, but I spent an hour dealing with customer service and finally, finally got half of my money back IF I made another reservation ("Due to the extraordinary circumstance....we will refund....."). I then reserved a nice Marriott in Jeffersonville at a very reasonable price, it being Sunday. I cannot be the only person who has made this mistake. A simple warning ("Are you sure you mean Athens, GA?" or any of the hundreds of towns carrying the same names) is definitely within Priceline's capability, but then they wouldn't get their fee for stupidity.

The motel was in my favorite venue...out in the country along a major road but with windows overlooking fields. DHC, it was like Falfurrias, with a nice sunset, which is happening earlier every day. This I do not like...the shorter daylight hours.
On the road to Athens, OH






1 comment:

  1. Still reading and enjoying every minute of it. Love the photos. They make it a little more real to me. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete