Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Blue Goose ~ Day 115

September 22, 2014 ~ Virginia Beach, VA to Virginia Beach, VA

After I typed a couple of hours, I had breakfast in the motel (crab omelet), and chatted with the waiter whose parents lived in Ada, MI, at one time. In fact, he also lived there for awhile. He wasn't Dutch, but Irish. Now his mom lives in Texas and his dad in Virginia Beach. So it goes....

For the rest of the day, I hung out at Red Mill Commons, catching up on bookwork and basking in the sunshine. The Starbucks had outdoor couches and tables and chairs. I had a fruit smoothie and read and watched the affluent clientele (and military) come and go. A kid and his dad reminded me of Steve and Donovan. It was as perfect weather as it gets, and I worked on feeling less sorry for myself and more grateful for all the good in my life.

What helped was the best dining experience I have had in years...or one of the top ten anyway. Nothing like good food to satisfy and gratify.

This was in a small restaurant, Masala Bites, with Indian cuisine. I loved it from walking in the modern glass door to leaving an hour later. Only one couple was eating when I arrived and a single other customer came for take-out, but it was a Monday night. The tables were already set, including linens and fresh flowers. All was elegant without being pretentious. The friendly but professional waiter advised on the menu, and I had a veggie dish with a slightly spicy sauce (and rice, perfectly cooked, of course). The music was eclectic and not obtrusive, a blend of modern and Indian; the drinking water just the right temperature with no ice; no condiments cluttered the table (and not necessary as the food was perfectly seasoned); the restroom was stylish; the dessert, a lovely plate with a modest half log of vanilla ice cream with bits of something, sliced so one could eat half moons....

I am still mulling over, however, how to cook most of my meals most of the time....it's my challenge.

For some reason, there was a police presence off and on all afternoon and evening in the general shopping area with patrol cars sitting for long periods of time watching the crowds. Jets flew overhead. The US bombed Syria. This town has a subtly heightened sense of what that means as military personnel are a presence most of the time, doing errands, shopping or eating or getting coffee.

Intersection of Barbara and White Marsh near Great Dismal Swamp NWR - VA


1 comment: