Monday, September 15, 2014

Blue Goose ~ Day 102


September 10, 2014 ~ Seaford, DE to Easton, MD

I'd been looking forward to Blackwater NWR because it is large and because of its name, now notorious for nefarious or necessary activities (depending on one's point of view) but these two entities are certainly at opposite ends of some undefined spectrum. 

The impressive Visitor Center had the usual mix of exhibits, written information, a book / gift store and a volunteer eager to inform the occasional interested person / people who stops here. Blackwater at one time was the home of Nanticoke and Choptank Indians but they were "driven out" in the mid 18th century (1750s) and "deforestation" began. Historically, it also was famous for muskrat trapping (for the fur). The gentleman at the desk told me that local muskrats had at one time been exported to Europe and that DNA testing today on European muskrats would prove that. 

(Also of note is Harriet Tubman's birthplace near Blackwater, recognized and honored with an educational center, a museum and a self-guided auto tour.)

I noticed that one of the exhibits featured Black Rails, one of the most elusive of American birds, a tiny rail that is seldom seen by anyone and usually identified when vocalizing....at night...deep in a marsh.  (Maria always thought she had seen a Black Rail once and we often discussed the possibility.)

The deal here was huge flies...deer or horse or something else, but huge and numerous.
Huge fly on windshield - Blackwater NWR - MD
I drove with the windows tightly closed and it sounded like I was in a popcorn popper as they constantly clicking against the glass. I just now googled something like "large flies at Blackwater" and several posts mentioned them. Their presence would preclude anyone but the most intrepid from walking or cycling. This must be an intermittent invasion???? 

The bird presence was about 1% of the numbers I have been seeing at the refuges to the east...just a few egrets and an occasional Great Blue Heron, although without the fly distraction, I would have seen more in the woods I am sure. 

As I said, this is a large refuge but not much is accessible by car, so I went north to Easton, MD, where I stayed the night, eating at an Applebee's adjacent to the Walmart parking lot. 

Finished reading Valley of Amazement (Amy Tan) and liked it. This is a story set mostly in Shanghai 100 years ago and is complete with a beginning, middle and an ending. I skimmed a Jodi Picoult book (Mercy) wishing I hadn't spent the $10 to buy it. She has definitely written better books. 

Salt marsh - Blackwater NWR - MD

Blackwater NWR - MD




No comments:

Post a Comment