Sunday, September 21, 2014

Blue Goose ~ Day 110

September 17, 2014 ~ Chincoteague, VA to Virginia City, VA

I woke early but just missed the sunrise over the marsh when I walked on the bridge with a cup of coffee. The air was balmy and in the low 70s. Forster's gulls were also on the bridge but few other birds visible.

I had the motel breakfast and drove back to the refuge but only walked a 1/4-mile to the lighthouse. The trail consisted of broken pieces of white shells.
Lighthouse on Chincoteague NWR - VA

As I drove due south down the Delmarva Peninsula I passed signs for small towns like Horsey or Cherrystone. I felt I was sliding into the real South on this lazy afternoon in the sunshine and pines. The branches begin high in these trees so there is an open airy feeling underneath and sunshine was glinting off the dried brown needles. I stopped at a Subway which has better choices that most fast food places but I had stopped for the coffee as a sign outside said they were now serving Keurig-brewed coffee, which took too long and wasn't worth the wait. The chicken sandwich was good, on flat bread with spinach, red onion, black olives, cucumbers and a little sweet onion dressing. Riveting, isn't this.....what I eat. Jeez louise Barbara....

Last year, DHC and I had stopped at Eastern Shore of Virginia  NWR which is actually the tip of the peninsula. There were two gentleman volunteers at the VC, both of whom were definitely interested in my travels. One immediately called to ask if I could have the map showing all the refuges (I have this map but it is getting worn); however, the refuge only had one and didn't want to give it away. They told me that a young woman who had recently worked here just moved to the International Detroit River NWR as her husband was going to school in Big Rapids. One of the men lives locally and the other also volunteers in Florida and at Muscatatuck NWR in Indiana.

Of course I revisited the various places we lingered last year, and it all was so different. Of course it was; how often are the most memorable times repeated?  Last year, there was a large group of teenagers getting into brightly colored kayaks and heading off into the salt marsh water; we also talked with several people in the parking lot - an employee and other birders. I specifically remember talking to a USFWS guy about doing this very trip, all the while eating left-over Greek salad. There were more birds that day also. I remember primarily white ibises and a cooperative sandpiper in the parking lot. Today there were only fishermen out for pleasure or out working.
Eastern Shore of Virginia NWR - VA

But another friendly staff person pointed out an island in the marsh where a family comes intermittently in the summer. I always am very curious about who, what, how, why....The island was pretty much in the marsh and not far from land, but it was an island, accessible only by water. An in-holding? or perhaps not on refuge property??? He was at the boat landing generally checking on licenses, monitoring the grounds, maintaining a presence so to speak...

I was again entering another period of very few birds...not on the water nor in the woods where I parked at a trailhead and listened and looked for 15 minutes. Still, it was a sweet sunny September afternoon...and it is hard not to be grateful for sound health and mind...to be able to be doing this.

Having said that, I am questioning it all more lately, as I wallow in a slightly melancholic mood. It seems so self-indulgent at times to only have to consider myself (although, believe me, I get several phone calls on some days from the K-zoo crowd, often with "issues"about which I then worry for hours until I just let them go if there is nothing I can do). But I have to learn the letting go lesson over and over. I think of how perfect western Michigan is in the fall and how, for the last 5 years, I settled  down in September or October, relishing the way the lake effect extends the season, sometimes well into November. And my car needs de-cluttering / cleaning. I feel like I'm living in a hovel. I miss the ease of brushing my teeth without thinking about where to do that. And I didn't factor in how the days are getting shorter and will continue to do so for the next three months. Or did not realistically think about how many miles I have to drive to see what I'm seeing. But, but, but.....almost every morning I wake up and am ready for the next stop, and I actually have been driving about 50-100 miles a day in the east rather than 200-400 as I did out west. It's just that every single time (well, nearly so) I look in the rear-view mirror, someone right on my ______. No dawdling or pulling onto a shoulder (often non-existent) or impulsive turns or stops....

Leaving Eastern Shore, I drove across Fisherman's Island NWR (not open to the public) to get on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel which is amazing and beautiful in concept, design and function. Twice in its 23-mile length, one goes from the bridge over the water into tunnels under the water. Short mile-long tunnels and necessary to accommodate large vessels, shipping and military. Tunnels are not my favorite. Tunnels under water verge on a phobia. Bridges are fine.

I found the best Walmart yet in Virginia Beach at the impressive Red Mill Commons, a large but tasteful area of stores and restaurants, including a Starbucks and Walmart almost next to each other. I pulled in and noticed half the light yellow leaves were off the trees already. The late afternoon sky was a pearl grey; it was definitely fall-like, but the venue was upscale and not depressing.

2 comments:

  1. Was it a big part of this BGA to add more birds to your life list...or not really? Yes, the days are getting shorter. I probably wouldn't have thought of that either. And...it's going to start to get more chilly so you'll have to head south and southwest soon. Just think of ROF! I can't wait! It will be a great diversion for you! Love you much and am proud of you! As far as hitting all 48 continental US states you're more than half way there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know....As for the birds, they kind of keep me company and when they are scarce, I find I enjoy at all less. Of course I hope to add birds to my life list and have, but really, it's only a small part of this. I cannot wait for ROF!

    ReplyDelete