Sunday, June 20, 2010

Corn-Rye Bread

Yeast. Kneading. Two words I'm not acquainted with anymore. I used to occasionally bake bread in my Ludington years, but, there is so much good bread in the markets now that I really do not think I would bake my own, except while cooking my way through SLwM.

This bread was dense, hard to knead, and just OK. Good because I made it; wonderful fragrance while baking, BUT rather proletarian.

Corn meal, rye flour, white flour, etc. It made 2 loaves and one is unbaked in the frig. Mollie says that if the loaves are in a sealed plastic bag in the frig, it will keep up to 3 days and can then just go "directly into a preheated oven from the refrigerator. This will enable you to have practically instant fresh-baked bread to soothe you at the end of a busy day." That sounds nice, and I will put the second loaf "directly" into the oven tomorrow when I return from birding with Maria. Good enough to eat but not worth the time, IMO. One unforeseen benefit was that the kneading (15 minutes' worth) used muscles!

No comments:

Post a Comment