Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Blue Goose ~ Day 207

December 20, 2014 ~ Truth or Consequences, NM to Alamagordo, NM
Sandhill Cranes at Bosque del Apache - NM


The "Change Oil" warning had been coming on, so I went from the motel to the Oil and Lube at Walmart next door and had this done. It took nearly two hours and they didn't reset the warning, so I googled how to do that the next day as it kept coming on every time I started the car.

I drove through sunshine, down I25 to busy Las Cruces getting there in mid afternoon and found a Starbucks where I stayed an hour, planning my next few hours. I had intended to stay here but it was too busy, so I headed east on US70, once again totally surprised by the topography. It was late afternoon but still fully sunny as I gained elevation going east and then over the San Augustin Pass of the Organ Mountains to a several-mile descent into a broad flat Tularosa Basin, now already mostly in shadow close to the mountains behind me but with lingering sunset colors flooding the valley ahead of me. I could see for 50 miles as I drove northeast for an hour on a straight flat road, past the White Sands National Monument and through the White Sands Missile Range, arriving in Alamagordo at dusk. The road is temporarily closed during missile firings, once or twice a week for an hour or so. Is this comforting or not?

Another boring Mexican dinner. I wonder if all these little restaurants serve more authentic food...Mexican food...than the Tex-Mex places I'm accustomed to in other parts of the country? Probably...

Snow / Ross's Geese at Bosque del Apache NWR -NM



No comments:

Post a Comment