Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Blue Goose ~ Day 200

December 13, 2014 ~ Patagonia, AZ to Tucson, AZ

I don't know exactly why I went back to Tucson, but it had something to do with the weather. Rain was in the forecast, and at first I thought it might clear, but it didn't and started raining intermittently at first and then harder as the day progressed.

Initially, I headed for what Larry at the Paton house called the "grasslands" and which should be good for sparrows. I checked out of the hotel, had another delicious breakfast at the coffee house, looked at the maps and starting driving, generally south of town, but soon was on gravel roads with warnings about being close to the border and primitive roads that weren't maintained and to travel at your own risk, and I wasn't quite certain where I was. I came to an intersection with arrows and signs and road numbers not exactly making sense according to my maps. And, in fact, I was off a bit when I finally realized where I was. I was supposed to look for a horse tank, etc., but after 45 minutes of slow gravel-driving in the rattling van, I came out at a high point, probably only a few miles from the border and turned back.

Near San Rafael Valley, south of Patagonia - AZ
Besides, it was not good birding weather as it was chilly, breezy and starting to rain more than it didn't.

So I pondered where to go next and thought how I hadn't checked out some important Tucson venues and that there was WiFi available at the Starbucks near the Walmart where I stayed before heading south and how Tucson really wasn't that far. So I went back, now driving in significant rain, but by the time I got to Interstate 10, the rain abated. I took a route around the south and west of Tucson, stopping again at the Arizona Sonora Museum and again going through Saguaro National Park. The rain made the air sweet and delicious. The lady at the museum ticket office told me it was the creosote. This place is stunning, and with far fewer people (being the end of a rainy day) and a clearing sky, I was glad I returned, even though now I regretted not having more time.
Sonoran Desert - west of Tucson - AZ

When I got into town, I ate at Starbucks and worked on the computer until 9:30 p.m.

It was going to be sunny in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. ALL your photos are beyond description. I'm so glad you include them in your blog. They make everything seem more real.

    ReplyDelete