Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Blue Goose ~ Day 205

December 18, 2014 ~ Deming, NM to Socorro, NM

The first sign I saw on the highway this morning was for the towns of Nutt and Hatch.

I stopped in Truth or Consequences for gas and completely forgot to get my mail which I realized an hour north. So that meant I would return the following day, and I easily adjusted my itinerary. I was traveling Interstate 25 which runs from El Paso north through New Mexico. Bosque del Apache NWR is an hour north of T or C, a star in the refuge system, one visited by thousands to see the wintering Snow/Ross's Geese and Sandhill Cranes. They host a Crane Festival every February. All photographers love to capture these birds at sunrise or sunset as they lift off in great numbers - in the mornings to forage in nearby fields, returning to roost on the refuge in the evenings. And speaking of photos...There are often photo contests on the refuges and the recent winners at Bosque were displayed. But one of the Honorable Mentions was an odd bird; I had no idea what it was and asked the lady at the desk. She laughed and said, "Well, yes, that's the mystery bird....people have different opinions on what it is..." and she had no definitive answer.  I wondered how it could have been chosen as a winner (of sorts). Here it is:
Honorable Mention Photo at Bosque del Apache NWR - NM

I drove the north loop and did see a nice mix of birds, including a leucistic (white) Sandhill Crane, which has been hanging out here for several weeks.

I had hoped the feeders at the VC would have been more active. I saw a Virginia's Warbler right here in May of 2013 when I had stopped on my way back to Michigan to be with Maria. So this bird is special for a couple of reasons. Of course, May birding is very different from December birding.

I had been in far northern NM earlier on this Blue Goose Adventure but didn't go south enough to check out Sevilleta NWR, north of Bosque del Apache, so I spent the night in Socorro, about halfway between the two refuges. It was dreary and raining and dark by 5 p.m. I found something other than a Mexican restaurant and had a pasta dish, went to the local Walmart, got under all my blankets, read awhile and slept well enough.

Leucistic Sandhill Crane - Bosque del Apache - NM

No comments:

Post a Comment