Saturday, August 16, 2014

Blue Goose ~ Day 74

August 13, 2014 ~ Bangor, ME to Orono, ME

Sunkhaze Meadows NWR was my destination this morning, a large squarish chunk of Maine (11,491 acres) with the second largest peat bog in the state. In summer it is a mosquito garden with waterways winding through the interior. There are two smaller units to this refuge that together "provide habitat for at least three plants, seven birds, two mollusks, and three invertebrates listed as endangered or threatened by the State of Maine." There is no office here, and Sunkhaze is managed by the larger entity of the Maine Coastal Islands NWR. 

Sunkhaze NWR - NH
I drove as much of the the perimeter as I could, and every time I stopped, the bugs, including very small mosquitoes were at my windows. The few trailheads I passed disappeared into dark and foreboding bush or, alternatively, were old grassy logging roads. The name belies the reality from my cursory inspection. Sunkhaze sounds light and airy, right? I saw many small paper birches bending over and wondered what this was about. Some looked to be dying.

It was drizzling, and I made a decision to use some of my good fairy money to stay in the area for a night instead of moving on. I am feeling the need to slow down, not drive so much every day, get caught up on bookwork and just settle in (relatively) for a bit. 

So I found a room at the Black Bear Inn in Orono, just north of Bangor, and home of the University of Maine. And went to see The One Hundred Foot Journey. I liked it but wished it were more sophisticated and it could easily have been. Still, it was charming, if Disneyish.

And then, solely because of Adam, I had to check out Stephen King's house. It was easy to find - a lovely large home in a downtown neighborhood with similar houses up and down the streets. As I drove up, there were two other cars and people taking photos. The wrought iron gates to the driveway were open. I think this takes a certain grace - to allow such access. There must be  high tech security on the premises all things considered, but none were visible. I surreptitiously parked, quickly snapped a photo and left, feeling it all was a bit creepy and voyeuristic, but then Mr. King and his family obviously have long ago decided that this is how it would be.

Stephen King's home in Bangor, ME
The motel had free wine from 5-6, and I also ate there choosing truly delicious clam chowder and an unremarkable salad. 

A few days ago, I bought Greg Iles latest book, Natchez Burning, and cannot put it down. It's nearly 800 pages and just what a good zuzu book can be. I've read this author before and have always liked how he writes. This book takes place just after Katrina but relates back to horrific events that happened at the height of the Civil Rights turmoil in the 60s and the consequences of those months in the present. I intended to just read in bed for hours but fell asleep early. I did laundry in the motel the next morning, so with clean clothes, hair and body, I was ready to move on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment