Thursday, August 14, 2014

Blue Goose ~ Day 72


August 11, 2014 - Ticonderoga, NY to Berlin, NH

Today made up for the tiring drive yesterday, at least the first part. After coffee at a McDonald's with fresh flowers on every table, I made my way north from Ticonderoga along Lake Champlain through
quiet villages and small marinas and woods and farms in the morning sunshine with little traffic. One surprise was the Ausable Chasm, an impressively deep gorge of the Ausable River.
Ausable Chasm - northern NY near Lake Champlain

Quebec is just north of these states, and I had one of those serendipities that happen occasionally. In my box of books in the car is Wickerby by Charles Siebert. I had originally bought it while browsing a used book store in Ft. Myers Beach when visiting Maria and Richard a couple of years ago and started reading it today. I immediately liked it. The author writes alternately of his life in Brooklyn and a five-month rural escape at Wickerby in southern Quebec and he writes well. But the serendipity was that Wickerby (the name of the dilapidated cabin) was near the town of Stanstead, Quebec, right across the international boundary from Derby Line, VT, and almost exactly where I was. I toyed with the idea of driving about for awhile in Quebec but decided that trip could wait until next summer. I have the fondest memories of the six weeks I spent there years ago when taking a French course from the University of Montreal, and it was tempting.
I saw many Quebecois license plates in northern NY

Lake Champlain was calm with most of the sailboats tied up and gulls hanging about. There were also fishing boats and signs for lobster and clams. One man was fishing in a mat of tires which made me laugh.

And, just before the bridge to Vermont, I drove through Coopersville.

Tire fishing man on Lake Champlain, NY
The only NWR in Vermont is Mississquoi (mis SIS' kwa so I had visit this one, even though it involved more poking-along driving than I would have chosen. By the time I got there, the day had warmed and I walked a mile-long trail, much of which was on a sweet cool trail in the woods and over a swamp, half on a boardwalk,  and watched Wood Pewees silently flying around. There was another trail, but I sat in my car dripping with sweat, opted out of more hiking and continued across Vermont into New Hampshire. Tourism is a big industry up here and occasionally just too cute. One sign announced a lodge was "Pleasantly Full." There were antique shops and fruit stands (lots of sweet corn now) and moose crossing signs and black bear yard sculptures. And hills and trees and villages and towns and constant slowing down and driving curvy roads. I did like the old buildings and homes though, and once in NH, it all seemed more pleasant and wild and less congested. Their license plates state: "Live Free or Die." I stayed in Berlin, close to the Appalachian Trail. I love the #10 difficulty description below.

WWW.APPALACHIANTRAIL.ORG

Terrain By State: New HampshireThe highlight of the Appalachian Trail in New Hampshire is the beautiful, rugged White Mountains, the dramatic scenery of which attracts more backcountry visitors than any other part of the Trail. Travel here requires intelligent planning and ample time; plan no more than five to eight miles per day. Be prepared for steep ascents and descents that require the use of your hands and, occasionally, the seat of your pants.

Difficulty Ratings for A.T. SectionsBecause the A.T. spans a great variety of terrain, ranging from relatively flat and easy, to extremely difficult, the following scale was created as a general guide:
1 = Flat and smooth
2 = Flat terrain but uneven treadway, or slight elevation change
3 = Moderate elevation change, but well graded trail, or flat trail with very rough treadway
4 = Strenuous climbs, but of moderate duration, or short but steep climbs
5 = Lengthy graded climbs, alternating with easier sections
6 = Extended climbs that may last hours or shorter climbs with difficult footing
7 = Includes rock scrambling that is relatively easy and of short duration
8 = Includes rock scrambling that is somewhat challenging
9 = Rock scrambling that is difficult and extended
10 = Use of hands required for extended periods of climbing, footing precarious, and leaping may be required — not recommended for those with fear of heights and not in good physical condition. Shorter hikers may be at a disadvantage.








2 comments:

  1. When I look at them map on my wall in the office, I'm truly amazed at the places you've been so far. It seems like only yesterday you began this BGA. Probably seems like a lot more to you. When this adventure is finished I'm eager to hear your most favorite place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple so far but I have a long way to go yet....

    ReplyDelete