Friday, May 10, 2013

Birding My Way ~ Pre Trip to Arizona

It's mid May in Holland. I am soon to leave to bird in SE Arizona, from Tucson due south to the Mexican border and east of Interstate 19 to New Mexico. So, today I bought 50 SPF sun screen, one of those folding silvery windshield screens, a head band, stuff to spray on clothing and tent to repel insects and a can of fuel for a high-tech little camping stove I have.

I only have to worry about chiggers, snakes, heat and the various illegal activities at the border. When I was in Texas two winters ago, I was stopped by Border Patrol and their fierce, lunging-at-the-leash, drug-sniffing dogs more than once as I traveled near the Rio Grande.

I have a great book titled Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona...

Chiricahua Mountains, Ramsey Canyon, Patagonia, Portal, Mt. Lemmon, Madera Canyon....Sierra Vista, St. David, Cave Creek, Ft Huachaca, Sonoita....my new geography.

Lucy's, Grace's and Virginia's warblers, Elegant Trogon, Red-faced Warbler....flycatchers, sparrows, thrashers...at least 50 common or abundant birds I haven't seen before.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, stay clear of those snarling dogs. I eagerly anticipate reading of your adventures- life list additions, food finds, quirky people encounters, wild weather, camping under the stars.... an amazing woman you are!

    ReplyDelete