Sunday, May 19, 2013

Birding My Way ~ Alamosa, Colorade to Loveland, Colorado

May 19, 2013

I woke up and it was cool and sunny. Like perfect weather. I kept thinking of Art and Claire as young 20-somethings in their grand adventure in this landscape with mountains extendng all along the eastern and western horizons and forever blue skies and sunshine. The San Luis valley is broad and flat and has a very definite ranching / Hispanic feel. Alamosa (my impressions from a brief ride-through) was a working town, open, practical, with some modest tourist amenities and a college (Adams State).

The East Indian woman at the desk did not like my whining about the Internet and the stairwell view and the card key issues and kept telling me I should have called the desk last night, etc. and other possible courses of action, but for over $100 a night, I shouldn't have had to solve problems after a long day of driving. Then two quiet beautiful children came on the scene with schoolbooks in hand and solemnly stood there waiting for her attention. Is it difficult for them living in Alamosa, Colorado?

I found a Starbucks in a supermarket and googled "Alamosa CRC" and got an address. It was several miles out in the country SW of town. I drove out  there and took photos and just stood in front of the church and parsonage. The sky was as blue as it gets. There were immense (huge, huge and tall) cottonwoods and lots of birds twittering in the branches. A gorgeous Swainson's hawk came in for good views.

Two dogs were barking at me behind a fenced in yard directly across the street and a woman soon came out inquiring if I was looking for something. She was young and had a sweet daughter named Willa who also came (by now they were across the street), and Willa was carrying a large silvery gray cat. This neighbor called the minister, Duane Kleinedieters, who was out in back. (I had knocked on the screen door  of the parsonage with no answer). He was pleasant enough and said Dad's photo was on the wall inside the house (or maybe he meant the church). I declined his offer to go in the house. It is the original Sears and Roebuck craftsman home with "add-ons" he said. It was the type of house I love. There was a white picket fence around the front and side yards and then the whole valley surrounding this little enclave. There are currently about 50 families and it is a constant struggle to keep it vital.

Art especially must have thought he entered heaven prematurely...perhaps the ante room of heaven.

The neighbor woman was named Maria.

I drove back to Alamosa on gravel roads bordering the Monte Vista NWR but didn't stop except very briefly.

The rest of the day was spent driving on good roads through incredible scenery. The hawks were Swainson's every time I did a "hawk-turnaround"The mountains on each side moved inn closer and closer but the valley road ran perfectly straight for 90 minutes.  I went straight north stopping for gas in Buena Vista, where I also stopped at a little cafe and had the best lunch (avocado stuffed with pinto beans and beef and a green chile with chips). I took it outside and ate at tables paintedwith  red, white and blue stripes.

Eventually, I picked up the interestate and headed east through Denver (another hour-long traffic scene) and up to Loveland. The speed limit is 75 mph and most cars go much faster with three lanes in all directions and periodic oeverhead expressway signs warning of "Heavy Weekend Traffic." And it was now in the low 90s again.

Nice motel in Loveland. I had called ahead because rooms were scarce, given graduations. Extremely friendly and helpful staff and no problems working, other than fatigue.

Birds today were Swainson's and black-billed magpies which are easy to see at 70 mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment