Thursday, May 16, 2013

Birding My Way ~ Amarillo, Texas to Truth or Consequences, New Mexico ~ May 15

It was another beautiful, sunny day, starting out cool enough at 60 degrees and rising to a high of 93.

The western panhandle of Texas was as flat a topography as I have even seen. Totally, 100% flat, with perhaps a foot of elevation here and there. There were also miles of wind farms in the distance, turning their triple white-silver blades. How do they work? Is the speed of rotation regulated? What happens in severe winds, which surely do happen out here. There were places where we drivers were warned of "possible gusty winds," and huge orange fabric wind socks gave an indication of what was happening. It was weird; once in awhile a semi would pass me and block the winds and it felt totally different in the car...sort of like the car was coasting and losing power. I would look at the speedometer and could not believe I was still moving at 75 to 80 mph. Speed is relative and one quickly makes mental adjustments; what would seem fast in Michigan seems slow at times after a couple of days of steady fast driving all day.

Drove by a huge dead rattlesnake, although there are so many snake species in the SW that I couldn't be certain and surely was not going to check it out. I am working on snake tolerance.

I pulled off in Tucumcari, NM, and got McDonald breakfast burritos and birding about town an hour. It was already hot and there was little sign of life in the neighborhoods which reminded me of the neighborhood in Coral City, Florida, when Maria and I chased (and easily found) burrowing owls. There were lots of western kingbirds, great-tailed grackles, chipping sparrows, house finches and Eurasian collared doves among other birds I have seen already. Xeriscape landscaping with modest homes, often surrounded by small privacy fences.

Finally, at Santa Rosa, NM, I left I40 and headed southwest, passing through Vaughn and Corona and Carrizozo before turning west to Bosque Del Apache NWR. I hadn't planned this route and intended to turn south at Albuquerque, but looked at the map and this worked. It was immediately 85% better. I could still drive 65 to 70; there was 85% less traffic; I could stop if I wanted and the scenery was stunning in a wide-open blue sky sagebrush mountains in the distance way. I did not see birds though, except for turkey vultures and the very occasional small sparrow in flight.

Lots of phone calls from my family today.

Bosque del Apache. Ahhh..... I love these refuges. This one is near the Rio Grande which allows enough water management to attract and keep significant fauna, including 25 snake species and 350+ bird species, although not at all times and not every year. Still.....

As I drove into the refuge, a Gambel's quail was perched on a directional sign and it stayed for a photos. These quails look much like California quails and are truly gorgeous. They are whimsical. Again, google them for full effect. When I have more time, I will post a photo or two. It's is worth checking out if only for their top-knot deal, sort of like a young teenager trying hair options.

The refuge was, as they all are, staffed with helpful courteous people. One gentleman reminded me to check out the feeders and they immediately captivated me. At one time there were eight black-chinned (male and female) hummingbirds at a single feeder. These came and went constantly. There were black-headed grosbeaks, western tanagers with bright red heads, Bullock's orioles, white-crowned sparrows and the more elusive but breath-taking yellow and black Scott's oriole. A small water seep attracted a warbler but we only got a fleeting glimpse. The bird-knowledgeable staff guy saw the warbler and commented on how he always sees something out of the ordinary when his binos are at the desk in the next room. We bird-chatted for several minutes as I tried to sort out birds I don't see in Michigan. He has been all over and knew SE Arizona and was going to do a road trip soon through the UP in Michigan. He had already seen a black-backed woodpecker but not the Connecticut warbler, two of MY target UP birds.

I drove one of the two 6-mile loops as I was supposed to work yet and it was an hour from motels (when and if I found one as I had no reservations). But there were vignettes even so: a groups of mixed dark and white birds which were a dozen each of white-faced ibises and snowy egrets standing in a muddy area on the edge of a small waterway. The golden feet of the egrets were strikingly visible as they stood on the dark damp ground. The ibises are dark until seen through the binos and then the darkness turns into a rich mix of slightly iridescent purples and a red rusty brown. There were also a few great egrets, Canada geese, cormorants (which I ASSUMED were double-crested but will have to check as neotropics are more common here). I watched what I decided was a western yellow-rump move through the riparian foliage. It had a bright yellow throat, black on breast, slate grey back of head and nape but with glimpses of yellow on the top of its head and some whitish/yellowish striping on the wings. Undertail coverts were white. I was hoping it was something more uncommon but I think not. Still, it was cool to see and watch and try to figure out.

There were ducks like blue-winged teals, norther shovelers, ruddies...a spotted sandpiper. I didn't linger though and I know I missed a lot. The refuge is narrow and linear, perhaps 20 miles long.

The staff assured me I would eventually pick up I25 (main north/south interstate between Albuquerque and El Paso) by traveling south along the river and eventually I came on a sign "To I25" but the turn was onto a gravel road. I hesitated but trusted the signage and after a mile, I was moving at 75 mph again. It was hot and windy; I was tired and dusty but after an hour found a motel in Truth or Consequences, NM. I had a microwaved chimichanga, coke, skittles, potato chips and a small nutty ice-cream cone, all available in the motel. This was to fortify me as I worked until midnight. T or C is a town surrounded by hills and mountains, but the dry brownish ones. The mornings and evenings are perfect; it's just the heat and wind of the days that one has to get through.


No comments:

Post a Comment