Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Birding My Way - Holland, Michigan to Indianapolis ~ May 12

It was 41 degrees and fall-like (windy with cloudy skies) as I packed the last things, made two storage trips, vacuumed my way out the door, checked the Stu trail very briefly (nothing at the little warbler bridge) and headed south.

The weather improved considerably as I drove...both warming up and becoming sunny. I incidentally noted a few birds while driving: robins, red-winged blackbirds, turkey vultures, blue jays but my pleasure of the afternoon was figuring out how to play my iPhone tunes through the Subaru's audio system. I had never tried doing this before. I first listened without connecting but, while adequate in a pinch, it was not satisfactory. So, when I finally stopped and figured it out (I know; it's not exactly rocket science), the sound was surprisingly good. I heard lyrics I've never heard before, and the miles went on by.

Missy prepared the most delectable dinner: seasoned pork loin, gingered green beans and roasted red potatoes. For dessert, we had a fancy layered chocolate mousse cake. Deborah and I had a glass of pre-dinner wine; Jack read on the front porch; Missy slaved in the kitchen. Natasha came after dinner and it was nice to catch up on her life. She told us she now has her Associate's degree! and is continuing on for her Bachelor's!

Woodruff Place was verdant, still not all that hot or humid, and always evokes a slight nostalgia for my childhood.

I finished a book by Steve Martin (An Object of Beauty) which I liked. It's about the New York art scene of auction houses, galleries, artists, dealers, rich folk who buy art, and I wondered about why he chose this topic. I had started it a long time ago, put it down, occasionally read a few pages, but then got serious the last couple of days and finally finished it. There are colored photos of actual paintings throughout the book.

Tino is developing better manners, which makes for a more relaxed time when he shares the room. No ankle nipping...although he is still is a highstrung little dog.

I slept well....


Natasha came after dinner and it was fun to see her and catch up on her life. She reminds me of Virginia somewhat and

No comments:

Post a Comment