Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Women by T. C. Boyle

An amazingly entertaining and imaginative book. It is the fictionalized story of Frank Lloyd Wright and the four significant women in his life. Fictionalized, but based on facts. I am now intrigued by this man and his work and his loves and can't wait to read Loving Frank by Nancy Horan and also more about FLW. While I never was particularly taken with his architecture, admittedly knowing nearly nothing about it except for the house in Grand Rapids on Madison (I think it's Madison), this book most definitely changed that opinion. Taliesin in Wisconsin is now on my list of places to see.

I could go on and on about his travels, his money problems, these women and Taliesin, but just read this book. You won't be disappointed.

I was in Ottawa Beach Inn a few weeks ago, eating spaghetti at the bar because it was so crowded and I didn't want to wait for a table, and started chatting with a couple sitting next to me. There were from Virginia and were headed north (Traverse City, Mackinaw, Pictured Rocks, etc.), and then they planned to see Taliesin. That nudge along with Eunice's a week or so ago about FLW, prompted me to get this book from the library. I had just started it before we moved back to Michigan in 2009 and had to bring it back to the library after reading only a dozen pages or so.)

Boyle is an engaging writer. I now want to reread The Tortilla Curtain. I have read Drop City and found that book a lot of fun. It is a story of hippies in the 60s. I didn't particularly like World's End and can't remember what else I've read by this author but will keep him on the short list.

No comments:

Post a Comment