Monday, July 12, 2010

The Sibley Guide to Trees by David Allen Sibley


I have been walking a mile in the mornings, along the hardwood forest across the street from my house, and one day thought about how I would like to identify the trees. I went to the library and online and got some dendrology guides. David Sibley is known for his phenomenally successful bird guides and, though I knew he had published this tree guide, I had no interest until, one day, I did. I took it home, along with four or five other tree guides. This is a gorgeous book. Edmund O. Wilson says, "A beautiful, masterful, and much-needed work that will henceforth be our guide to North American trees."


The illustrations are just lovely and I have already spent hours paging back and forth delighted by and in awe of his amazing art work. I ordered it from amazon. For anyone interested, even a little bit, in tree identification, buy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment