Sunday, May 2, 2010

Middle Eastern Spinach Soup



A bowl of green mush is in my refrigerator. I followed the recipe but fortunately cut it in half. It called for 2 pounds of spinach which was a clue (to me) that this might not be a particular favorite of mine. While I like most foods, I have never been fond of cooked spinach. I am not sure I've ever even eaten cooked spinach. But, when one decides to cook one's way through a cookbook, one does exactly that, spinach or not.

First of all, after it was prepared, it was, in no way, what I would call "soup." It was a cooked spinach side dish. I should have left it like that. At least it had more visual appeal than the mush. Mollie says it can be eaten like that or blended to whatever texture one wishes, adding that a "complete puree can be quite elegant." I like elegant, so I did that, although the blender in this cottage had a brief period of malfunction, and I thought the motor had burned out since tiny black particles starting spewing here and there. I still don't know what that was all about, but it wasn't the motor. I tried pureeing smaller portions and finally got a thick green mush.

I will try at least tasting some tomorrow, but cannot imagine anyone eating this or ordering this or spending the time to clean and chop 2 pounds of spinach for a result that reminds one of something unmentionable.

Or, perhaps it's the cinnamon, which I did not have. No doubt this will make ALL the difference when I add the required "dash" of it tomorrow.

This was recipe #5. The first four were very tasty, and I would prepare them all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment