Thursday, May 20, 2010

Light Tomato Soup

The problem here in Michigan is that tomato season it is not. But, I didn't want to come back to this recipe, so I splurged at the health food store and got organic tomatoes from Mexico. They really didn't have the hot summer tomato look or taste but were better than the current supermarket offerings.

All you do, is cut up 3 pounds of tomatoes, add a stalk of fresh basil and a bunch of chopped garlic, cook about 15 to 20 minutes, cool, puree, strain, add brown sugar, salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley or dill. This is a luscious rich tomato soup. I will definitely make it a couple more times this summer when our local farmers bring their home-grown tomatoes to market.

I love having this delicious food in my refrigerator and am finding that the time spent cutting up veggies or fruits or cooking grains or finding fresh herbs is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment