Sunday, May 23, 2010

Jeweled Rice Salad

I think Eunice asked me, when I told her about this recipe, if it had jewelweed in it. It doesn't; it does have brown rice, green and red grapes, pecans, parsley, chickpeas, scallions and a garlic-lemon-honey dressing. I am loving these grainy-fruity salads. They last about a week in the frig and are crunchy and clean-tasting, nourishing and satisfying.

(For this recipe, I would add the toasted pecans just before eating so they wouldn't get soggy.)

I am moving a block away in a couple of days, so won't mess up the kitchen, which I cleaned yesterday, with the next recipe (Yogurt Scones) until sometime next week.

So far, I am loving this project. I discovered that eating the leftover chickpeas tasted almost as good as Pringles...(yeah, pathetic, I know).

2 comments:

  1. Barbara,
    These recipes and book reviews are wonderful. I remember one time you mentioning that you are not a great lover(maybe it was tolerator) of garlic. Neither am I. Was the tomato soup real garlicky? Also, can you send me the recipe for the Jeweled Rice Salad (after you move and all that other katootalie business)? Another great book about Africa is Tracy Kidders' latest, "Strength In What Remains". Also, I would love to know what you think about these books: "Zeitoun" by Dave Eggers, "The Right of Thirst" by Frank Huyler and "Unimagined" by Imran Ahmad. And, for a hoot, "The Believers" by Zoe Heller. Okay, enough already! Love your blog.
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Joanie

    Here it is August 3 and I am just reading this! So sorry...I have not read any of those books but will add them to my list.

    The recipes are all available online by googling Still Life with Menu.

    I am learning to love garlic and I don't think the tomato soup was very garlicky.

    Maybe will see you at Big Star????

    ReplyDelete