Sunday, February 22, 2015

Blue Goose ~ Day 265

February 16, 2015 ~ Paris, TX to Texarkana, AR

Paris, Texas and Harry Dean Stanton...why did I remember this bit of trivia?

I have been in and out of a few of these southern states lately and went back into Oklahoma and then Arkansas today.  The decision was due to that fact that I was to pick up my mail in Tallulah, LA, but hadn't allowed enough time for it to get there, so had to "spend" a few days somewhere waiting on the USPS. After looking at my NWR map, I had a revised plan...well, not exactly revised, since there wasn't much of a plan to begin with; thus, the western loop. Which was fine as I saw some good property.

Some of the refuges are less accessible than others (harder to find), and Little River seemed like one of those, but a main highway runs through it, so I could at least say I was there as I drove across it. But then, between the towns of Broken Bow and Idabel, I came on an access point sign so drove in. This is another area where rivers at one point defined immutable state boundaries, and when the rivers re-channel after floods, the state lines don't. So there are out-pouchings of Texas into Arkansas reflecting the original river bed and vice versa. Hunter's therefore  have to have licenses in both states in these areas. I love the whimsy of this situation.

Little River NWR - OK
Little River NWR 13,000 acres of hardwood bottomland along the Little River, a tributary of the Red River. It has 11 state champion trees and is one of the few places in the Oklahoma where Swainson's Warbler nests. The woods are home to deer and raccoon, bobcat and beaver and squirrels. It has both a southern and a northern feel depending on the elevation. The roads were a pale burnt umber (one of my Dad's favorite oil paint colors) with pot holes filled with rain water.

I moved on into Arkansas to Pond River NWR, a frank hunting refuge. I am getting used to the priorities, or at least not surprised. I saw about 50 White-tailed Deer who would stare at my approaching vehicle before bounding into the woods and disappearing. I saw my dozen species by stopping and waiting for ten minutes when twitters and twitches in the branches would begin as birds resumed their flying and foraging.

It was late afternoon and overcast. The plan was to drive through the refuge as the road emerged back on the highway to Texarkana where I planned to spend the night. The route was gravel but smooth, wide and well maintained, without ruts, holes or significant stones.

Pond Creek NWR - AR
(there was some of this habitat but also drier upland woods)
The map was accurate and I passed the marked campsites and lesser roads, got on Bee Gum road, kept going, figuring I was getting close to the highway, which I was, except there was a river between it and me, and the road ended there. Hmmm... I checked map closely again; there was a tent symbol at the river obscuring the bridge I was certain would be there but wasn't.

Nothing to do but retrace 10-12 miles being careful not to get turned around.

The Best Western on the Arkansas side of Texarkana (the city straddles the Texas - Arkansas state line) was such a deal and so comfortable that I stayed two nights. There was enough work for me from Kalispell, so I didn't feel guilty since it paid for my stay.

Pond Creek NWR - AR
(You know you're on a hunting refuge when this is the first sign in the information kiosk.)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Barb,
    Following your blog now. Read the first 60, then skipped ahead. Have always been fascinated with the southern states but haven't spent much time there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burnt umber, a very useful water color. The perfect natural dark brown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for reading....the southern states are intriguing..lots to talk about when I get back....

    ReplyDelete