Thursday, February 5, 2015

Blue Goose ~ Day 251

February 2, 2015 ~ Gaffney, SC to Athens, GA

The only excitement today was an accident back-up on I85. When I finally passed the scene, it looked like the bottom had dropped out of a semi. The middle of the container trailer was resting in a V-shape, its bottom on the road. I continued driving to Athens where I spent the night, out on the periphery of the town, eating my second Cracker Barrel dinner of this trip, including a piece of Coca Cola Chocolate Cake with vanilla ice-cream. Well....I ate part of it, the portions contributing to the national obesity epidemic. I had meat loaf, green beans, a biscuit, macaroni and cheese (considered a side) and fried okra...

These restaurants have attached stores filled with candies, clothes, jewelry....tchotchkes for the tourists.

I had hoped the town was smaller and I would be near the college (University of Georgia) and maybe a bookstore or some funky little restaurant, but it didn't happen.

It was cold and windy; I was happy there was a warm Starbucks half a mile away where I showed up a little after 0530 the next morning, greeted by the wide-awake and friendly guys who were opening for the day.... I love the slightly skunky smell of good coffee...

I have been putting on more miles than I like...going north and now south again. I keep looking at maps and try to figure out the most efficient routes and have spent many hours winding through rural South Carolina and Georgia, moving from the coastal plains to higher ground known as the Piedmont, the area between the low country and the Appalachians.




No comments:

Post a Comment