Monday, April 26, 2010

Chipping sparrows


The past two days were very birdy in my neighborhood. The wind was strong from the east and it was overcast but calm over the lake. I am battling one particular, smart, hyperactive, black squirrel with an attitude. I do this solely by moving the TWO baffles, a little higher, a little closer together, a little lower, etc. The squirrel figured out how to move away from the pole, judge the distance and leap onto the lower baffle, which was only about 2 inches from the higher one! Along with being unreasonably pissed off, I was also entertained.

Some goldfinches are now brilliant yellow and black. There was a loon on the lake and I saw two brown thrashers under the feeder near the bushes. And, at dusk, there were 11 chipping sparrows, small and elegant, picking up the loose seed on the lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment