Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Blue Goose ~ Day 142

October 18, 2014 ~ Beaver Dam, WI to Sun Prairie, WI

There was supposed to be a Bird Hike at 10:00 at Horicon but no one showed, so I drove the auto route again, photographing ducks and grebes. The sky was dramatic with alternating sun and clouds.
Pintail at Horicon NWR - WI

It was Ding Darling day at the Visitor Center and I stayed for a couple of hours, mostly to hear a Power Point presentation by Tim Eisele.

Jay Norwood Darling (he was born in Norwood, Michigan) was a cartoonist for the Des Moines Register by profession and was responsible for the Duck Stamp program which began in 1934. The monies generated by annual duck stamp sales fund much of wetland projects on the refuges and are required for duck hunting. The stamps currently cost $15. There is a contest each year to choose a painting for the stamp. Mr. Eisele had judged the contest one year, along with four others, who had to pick a winner from over 500 entries. The USFWS chooses five waterfowl species each year and the artists need to work with one of them.

WWW.FWS.GOV
Fortunately, the sale of stamps is not restricted to hunters. Anyone can purchase the stamp, which can be used as an annual "season pass" to national wildlife refuges charging entrance fees. Conservationists buy the stamp because they know that 98 cents of every dollar invested in the stamp permanently conserves wildlife habitat for future generations; a small investment will bring you and your family long-term returns. Philatelists purchase the stamp as a collectible—a $1 stamp purchased in 1934 may bring as much as $750 for a stamp in mint condition today.

There are also Junior Duck Stamp contests now in every state, and the current winners are exhibited on various refuges.

I tried to find a place to download my photos while I waited but had problems.

So, while I hadn't thought I would be interested in a presentation of "Gardening with Native Species," I sat in on the last half and wished I had heard the whole thing. The presenter, Mike Yanney, works at Johnson' s Nursery in Menominee Falls, Wisconsin and owns an JN Plant Selections, "offshoot" company. He was a lighthearted, knowledgable speaker, showing slides of native trees and bushes as he spoke, with delightful and curious facts about most of them. He obviously loves his work, reminding me of the presenter at Lostwood NWR last June who talked about mud puppies. For sure, the right person can make anything interesting. His slides weren't especially crisp or clear, and he spoke in an unassuming manner, but he had a way of communicating that grew on me as he talked about Chinkapin Oaks, Bur Oaks, Leatherwood trees....and many other species. Unfortunately, I missed the flower portion of his talk.

It was now sunny but chilly. I drove to Sun Prairie, WI, where I found a Starbucks and tried to figure out the problem with my photos not downloading (didn't) before I drove in the dark to a Walmart. I woke up at 0345 because I was cold (it was 30 degrees) and I had to pee. I figured this was the third nadir-night of the trip, but 3 of 142 isn't bad...only a 2% rate.

Wilson's Snipe at Horicon NWR - WI

Sun Prairie is a dozen miles NE of Madison with upscale neighborhoods and shopping malls in various stages of construction.

2 comments:

  1. Do the stamps look like postage stamps? I guess I could google duck stamps...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they do...beautiful art work

    ReplyDelete