Sunday, June 29, 2014

Blue Goose ~ Day 27

June 27, 2014 ~ Colville, WA to Kennewick, WA.
There were huge containers of watermelons in front of the Walmart, like hundreds. I had the bathroom to myself, and since no one was at any of the cash registers, I left without making the token purchase of appreciation, like ice or water. 

It was overcast and drizzling on the hour-long drive south to Spokane.
Between Colville and Spokane, WA
The evergreens in the northwest impress me anew each time I see them again; they are truly magnificent, and one can drive for hours through various state and national forests. The species vary with elevation, but there are only a dozen or so common ones: spruces, firs, pines, hemlocks and larches (the only 
evergreen to lose its needles in the fall). It’s unsettling to see unconscionable logging which one does see occasionally. I am certain clear-cut logging is still done, just not as often where visible from major routes. It isn’t only the scrap left behind and the barren mountainsides but also the switchback roads built for trucks to access and remove the timber, so it is heartening to pick up literature at the refuges and realize how many organizations and groups are working to preserve natural landscapes, with the restoration of wetlands a huge initiative, along with providing safe places for threatened and endangered species of both flora and fauna. The first white settlers always messed with water to mitigate flooding, for agricultural purposes and to more easily provide water for cattle and horses. In so doing, wetland habitat was destroyed. So far, one of the main management tasks is restoration.

I made the daily Starbucks stop on the north side of Spokane and then headed to Turnbull NWR 10 miles west, near the town of Cheney. The sun was still not shining and my mood also never is as bright on a dull damp day like today. At first this refuge was silent; very few birds, although I did spot a pair of Mountain Chickadees flitting high up in a Ponderosa. Also, there was no one visible at the refuge office. Usually when I walk in, someone appears and is willing to answer any questions, always helpful. I drove through the refuge and then decided to walk a mile trail which helped my mood and made the visit more memorable. 
Turnbull NWR - WA
There was a family group starting out when I did. I couldn’t quite figure out how they were connected. There were two gentleman about my age, who conversed quietly as they moved along, a couple of older women, and a extroverted young man with shorts, long dark hair and high tops with no socks who seemed to be into the hike. A young woman with long blond hair and a red jacket stayed behind and filed her nails. The adults were a type one sees traveling out west: dressed in casual but well worn LLBean or Patagonia, with intelligent demeanors; the women wear no makeup and have greying medium length hair; they are physically fit, vocal but not obnoxious, inquisitive….I liked that there were other people finally. When Esther asked if I missed talking to anyone, I thought about that and don't miss talking, but do like to have limited people exposure, and nonverbal is fine. Often I see no one at the refuges, especially after hours or on weekends. 

I had hoped for a White-headed Woodpecker. No luck though. The trail I walked was a loop around wetlands, and I pished a Common Yellowthroat for a very brief glance before it disappeared again in the reeds. There was definitely more activity than in the dry uplands here, and I am sure there are all kinds of birds, just not as evident on this chilly, cloudy June day. 

Are you all tired of hearing about Starbucks? Well, I knew there was one just off I90 at Rtizville, WA, which is unusual as this stop is really just a generic interstate exit with a couple of gas stations / convenience stores and a motel. But it also has a Starbucks which was more crowded than any I’ve ever been in, and very efficient. Although the line stretched nearly to the door, I had hardly any wait, just long enough to eat half of a large Rice-Krispy cookie. I really do need to get this immediate gratification junk food deal under control. But it was delicious, the sun came out and the road to Kennewick, WA was smooth and fast. And, pleasant surprise: the Priceline motel was a Hilton Garden Inn. 

I worked, but had computer issues so went down to the bar and had the best veggie quesadilla, a glass of wine and chatted with the waitress and bar patrons…one man was reading a  book by Jim Bouton and another was ordering $14 drinks made with Grey Goose vodka. There were lots of young girls and their parents staying here for a soccer deal. A huge difference from my motel in Williston last Friday. Such is the Priceline way I guess. 


Of course I slept very well but only had four pillows this time. 

5 comments:

  1. WooHoo! A Hilton Garden Inn. But how sad :( only 4 pillows! Can you imagine? Saturday am I actually went to Starbucks. I know. Don't faint. I had an ulterior motive but I ordered a spiced cold root beer and I just hit the right time - it was half off time or something. Didn't quite get that. I can sort of see how Starbucks could become addicting. Lots of people on computers, a Dad and his little girl...Good thing I don't drink coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, the coffee is almost always good, but more important, it has reliable wifi and there are always tables available. But right now, I am in the Hurricane Coffee House in Sequim, WA, which is fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb, what coffee do you drink at Starbucks. I average about 4 cups of coffee a day and have never liked Starbucks coffee. I still gravitate toward good ol' Maxwell House and Dunkin Donuts now sells their ground coffee in stores and that stuff is good!
    Your description of rural WA put me in mind of a book I just read .... a phenomenal book that takes place, mostly about where you are .... The Boys in the Boat. 1936, deep depression, 9 very working class boys from the Univ. of Wash. beat out the East coast elite and win the gold in 8 men crewing at the Berlin Olympics which was a showcase for the Nazis. Even if you have to buy it brand new it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation..this sounds like a great book. I will check it out.

    My Starbucks drink is always "tall decaf Americano with an inch of steamed breve" and then I always add 2 raw sugars myself. I would drink coffee all day if my body would tolerate it and I wouldn't get so twitchy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one read this but I'm going to get The Boys in the Boat. Thanks Joanie. Starbucks. Grande cappacino for me. I've just started habitually going down to Starbuck every afternoon. There is one right outside my building. I got lucky once and the drink was on Starbucks. Love their coffee. I pay with through the Starbucks app. Very simple scanning.

    ReplyDelete