Monday, April 4, 2011

Wood Duck

This morning was damp and still chilly at about 40 degrees but still much better than 20 degrees as it had been all last week at 8 a.m. I figured the birds are migrating regardless of the weather so I walked the SV trail. I wasn't disappointed as I saw two FOY (first of year) birds: a very cooperative and handsome Fox Sparrow and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

Since last week, I have been seeing at least one pair of wood ducks, and I was wondering where they might be when I saw exactly where the male was....perched on the railing of the horseshoe-shaped pond overlook. Usually, the wood ducks have been skittish and fly off as I approach. This male didn't and just stood on the railing for at least five minutes, at eye level. I got amazing looks at this spectacular bird. It is in the same class as the harlequin duck for unsurpassed beauty.

It is a geometry of asymmetrical and rich color patches, most of which are outlined by thin white lines. The bill has a black tip and is orangey-red but with a broad white splash. The face has a bold scarlet and gold V-shape which terminates at the top of the bill. The eye has a red iris and black pupil. The head is all velvety dark greens and brownish olives with more white lines dividing the colors into small, individual sections; there are teal blue areas on the back, dusty deep plum/rusty-colored patches, a few orange lines near the tail, a light cafe-au-lait on the sides, and of course the unique head with feathers hanging off the back, feathers with white streaks.

These colors in the grey gloomy morning were crisp and vivid. The feet were yellowish, easily seen as it perched. So, this was an antidote, pre morning coffee, banishing the blues of too much chill, too little sunshine.

Later at home, an Eastern towhee foraged briefly in my yard. It was a female and exactly fit the description of having "mild chocolate underparts and head." Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment