Monday, January 24, 2011

Lemongrass


I found a visually appealing cookbook (Wagamama) at Barnes and Noble the other day for $5. So I bought it and the first recipe was delicious: Marinated Chicken Stir-Fry. I bought a wok, seasoned it and have used it twice now. For this recipe I needed two ingredients I hadn't used before, fish sauce and lemongrass stalks. So I went to the Asian market with its pungent smells and its 8 foot tall orange (?) tree near the cash register. There were dozens of fruit on this tree and a small sign asking customers to not touch. It is worth a trip just to see this tree, and I wondered about its provenance.

The market had fish sauce (lots of bottles, mostly anchovy based) and lemongrass of course.

The lemongrass has a flavor that (for me) was a cross between ginger and lemon. It looks a bit like scallions. I trimmed the outer leaves and ends, sliced thin and added to cut up chicken breast and marinated overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment