Monday, November 29, 2010

Book: Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris

Sedaris takes familiar animals, anthropomorphizes them and puts them in situations we humans will recognize as we go through life. The stories are mostly very funny, although sometimes startling what with Sedaris' wicked wit. There are 16 stories about rats, stork, hippos, owls, chickens and so on. How better to illustrate what this book is than to offer a quote. This is from The Grieving Owl:

"On my way home that night, I picked up a rabbit. It was on the small side, and and no sooner had I started eating than my mother appeared. "I'll wait until you're finished, " she said in that particular way that means What kind of son can't offer his mother so much as an appendage? Sighing, I ripped off and ear and passed it over. "

Of course Sedaris is mostly pointing out our human foibles and character defects in a uniquely funny way. He contributes to The New Yorker and This American Life on NPR.

No comments:

Post a Comment