Monday, October 11, 2010

Birds on the Stu Visser Trail


Today was a perfect Indian Summer day, warm, sunny and full of brilliant fall color. I was headed to the coffee shop, but stopped on the way at the north end of the Stu Visser Trail to see what birds might be about. There were birds but after I settled in and quieted my mind, I realized I was also listening to leaf drops, like rain drops but drier. I had never heard this before.

I am getting used to looking for movement in foliage as a sign of bird activity, but today leaves were drifting down everywhere, sometimes to the ground, but often getting trapped in the brush and other trees, and they were making tiny little noises. It was rather magical..the combination of sunshine, the stillness and this sound of individual leaves dropping. I stood listening and looking out over the cattails and the berries, the tangled brush, the trees, the marsh and the creek. The foliage was lovely with shades of reds, browns, yellows, oranges and greens...the yearly coloring. There was no one else around.

A pair of Eastern Bluebirds sat in a tall silvered dead tree; a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker flew to the same tree, its white vertical stripe easy to spot; a Great Blue Heron moved overhead in the very blue sky, flapping and gliding; a Ruby-crowned Kinglet fed in its frenetic fashion, the white markings around its eyes easily visible; Goldfinches were busy in the bushes; a Downy Woodpecker flew from tree to tree as did Grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds.

I was on the north bridge, watching the small birds moving in the brush at the water's edge when I heard a Pileated Woodpecker behind me. I ignored it at first figuring it was in the trees to the east and out of sight, but it hammered again and sounded closer this time. It was, like about 30 feet away on a dead tree. I continue to be amazed at how BIG this bird is close up. It moved around the tree, out of sight for a few seconds and, as it came back in view, the sunlight blazed its red crest. These birds have a huge, strong, lethal-looking bill, a black and white striped face..just a magnificent bird. It is still a thrill to see them. Nice morning....

No comments:

Post a Comment